New Proposed Plan for Birthing Services in Leamington
Leamington – The Erie St. Clair (ESC) LHIN Board has held a Special Open Board Meeting, on May 5, 2015, to hear from the Expert Panel Leamington & Area Obstetrics & Birthing Services. The Expert Panel presented information from the report they compiled in response to the ESC LHIN Board request to review the Leamington District Memorial Hospital (LDMH) proposed intention of eliminating the obstetrical service.
Since the announcement of the proposed service change, the Board has heard from LDMH, community leaders, stakeholders, and the general public regarding the program changes proposed by LDMH. This Board meeting concludes the work of the Expert Panel, and as a result, the ESC LHIN Board has passed the following motions (Item 6.6 – May 5, 2015):
Moved by Barb Bjarneson and seconded by Robert Bailey that the ESC LHIN Board approve the following: Pursuant to section 25(2)(b) and section 26 of the Local Health System Integration Act, 2006, the LHIN finds that it is in the public interest to require the Leamington District Memorial Hospital to proceed with the integration described in this decision and the Party is hereby required to implement the following by June 23, 2015:
- To continue to provide obstetrics services
- To add five “Slow Stream Rehabilitation” beds at Leamington District Memorial Hospital
- To work with the LHIN and its partners in examining the new Navigation Centre model, as proposed by the Expert Panel, and the redesign of birthing services at Leamington District Memorial Hospital
- To develop a transition plan, communication plan, and operating plan for implementation in respect to this integration
Moved by Mike Lowther and seconded by Lindsay Boyd that prior to the end of the 30 day period staff will provide the ESC LHIN Board with the financial effect of the proposed Integration Decision.
Immediately following the passing of this motion, ESC LHIN Board has now begun the legislated 30-day process to collect community written submissions regarding the motion. These written submissions may be provided to the ESC LHIN Board through the following means:
- The written submission form made available at the May 5th Open Board Meeting
- An electronic online written submission form available on the ESC LHIN website: www.eriestclairlhin.on.ca
- By mail using the print version of the written submission form. The form is available on the ESC LHIN website: www.eriestclairlhin.on.ca or by request at the ESC LHIN
Following the 30-day written submission process, the ESC LHIN Board will convene a follow-up meeting to announce the final decision.
“The Expert Panel has done an outstanding job in developing a new proposed pregnancy and birthing service model for Leamington and area. The ingenuity of this new model lies in its foundation in the needs of the diverse communities of the region, and in its ability to link activity with resources.”
– Martin Girash, Board Chair, Erie St. Clair LHIN